How to Progress Deadlifts
Learn the deadlift fundamentals so that you can progress the exercise over time!
Watch: How to Progress Deadlifts
Subscribe to Booty Lab on YouTube for Workouts, Tips, and more!
How to Do Progressive Deadlifts
You can do each of these exercises with the same basic movement, just switch up the type of weight you use!
Targets: glutes, upper thighs, hamstrings, lower back, upper middle back and traps.
Basic Deadlift Movement
1.Walk up to the weight and place your hands on the bar so your thumbs are at your thighs. Then wrap your fingers around the bar.
2. Squeeze your shoulders back and down. Then lift the bar off the rack.
3. Once you’re in this position, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
4. Guide the bar down your legs, and keep your head in a neutral position.
5. Once the bar is past your knees, be sure to keep the weight on your heels. Once the bar is all the way down, your hips should be slightly lower than your shoulders.
6. Press back up, pushing through your heels, and squeeze your glutes. Make sure you’re not over pulling at the top.
7. Repeat for 1 rep.
Beginner Deadlift (PVC Pipe)
Use a PVC pipe to get the movement down before progressing to a weight. Follow the steps above to complete the exercise.
Place the kettlebell in between your feet and complete the deadlift using the steps above.
Once you have mastered the beginner deadlift and KB deadlift, try using a barbell. You can use a barbell with whatever amount of weight you feel most comfortable with and complete the deadlift using the steps above.
Ready to work that Booty? Try One of Our Workouts!
One Month of Booty Workouts Here's another monthly program for that Booty! If glutes are a priority, then here's a way to strengthen and add some perk to that backside. Follow this workout plan for an entire month and track that progress! Tip: Track your reps and...read more
Mini Band Glute Bridge Workout with the Glute Loop This one may give you a butt cramp! This burnout today is a special one! My sister and I did this over the holidays and it is definitely a SUPER burnout! Prepare yourself, because this is sure to really take your...read more
3 Glute Movements to Strengthen Your Booty This booty workout is a celebration! Today's workout is dedicated to my boo because it's his birthday!! Chris is not afraid to work those glutes, so I decided to incorportate movements that accentuate his best assets?? Follow...read more