Do you know the right way to do kettlebell swings?
Have you ever performed a kettlebell swing and feel like you are doing them wrong? Do you feel your lower back during or when you finished? If so, you probably have the wrong form, but don’t worry! I’m going to show you the right way.
When you’re doing a kettlebell swing, you’re not “swinging” the kettlebell with your arms. In fact, the power should be coming from your legs and glutes. When preformed correctly, kettlebell swings are a great total body exercise!
Watch the video to first see the common mistakes people make when doing kettlebell swings and then see how to do a proper kettlebell swing step-by-step!
How to do a Proper Kettlebell Swing
How to do a Kettlebell Swing
- Think about hinging not squatting
- Keep the kettlebell tight to your body so tight that you could hit yourself in the butt on the other side
- Make sure your core is engaged as you swing through the movement
1. Stand tall, gripping the kettlebell. Keep arms loose and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Engage your core, soften your knees, and shift your body weight onto your heels. Hinge backward at the hips.
2. Drive through your heels, exploding through your hips to send weight swinging upward. Aim for chest height, arms extended.
3. As the kettlebell descends, shift weight back onto your heels while hinging at the hips. Allowing the kettlebell to go back between your leg. Reset and repeat.
Ready to work that Booty? Try One of Our Workouts!
The #1 way to get your glutes stronger and more developed is through Hip Thrusts. These are a weekly staple at Booty Lab. This workout will have your glutes burning! But first, let's make sure you have the proper form. If you're new to hip thrusts, check out my video...read more
Sometimes a chair and a basket are all you need to get an effective workout. This week's workout doesn't require any equipment or weights! Really, all you need is a chair and a sturdy basket. Try this at-home glute workout to strengthen that booty! Try this...read more
It's the week of LOVE! Whether you're celebrating Galentine's Day with your girls or Valentine's Day with your babe, we can all agree it's a great day for a booty workout. #gluteday (everyday)! ?? We love lifting heavy weights at Booty Lab, but I know not...read more